Thursday, November 17, 2011

Windows in Provence

The last time I went to Europe I had the chance to go to Provence. It was the spring of 2006. I know it's been a while and I definitively need to go back soon. When I was there, I started taking pictures of windows. Sounds weird, doesn't it? But it's not. It's actually pretty colorful and campagnard. You will see why shortly. In the south of France, there are a lot of large casement windows with awnings in bright colors. They are great subjects for pictures. When they are all put together it makes a nice montage. So I thought I'd share them with you and tell you a little bit about where they were taken.

The first three were taken at the Châteauneuf du Pape village. Yes, the one renowned for its wine. It's a little bit ironic that I ended up there because I don't really like wine. That’s probably why I didn't take pictures of the vineyards and decided to look at the windows. I did take pictures of the old castle and stacks of wine cases though.

The bottom three were taken in Orange, a small town north of Avignon. In Orange there is an Antique Theater that was built around the years 40 BC.  It's part of the UNESCO World Heritage List.  When I was there, it was under restoration. Now it's finish and they're having outdoor shows in it. It looks magnificent. I definitively need to go back.


Since I talked about the castle, the wine and the theater, let me show you what they look like.  Otherwise it's like getting a Christmas present and not being able to open it.

Châteauneuf du Pape castle
Wine Cases in Châteauneuf du Pape

If you would like to know more about the Castle that was the home of Popes here is a link where they talk about it.  Château des Papes
Now let me show you the roman theater in Orange.  And here is the link for more details about its history as well as the one of the city. Théâtre Antique - Orange




No comments:

Post a Comment