Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Christmas Preview


I don't know if you're like me and wait 'til there's at least a little bit of snow on the ground before you get all excited about Christmas. Or, if past Thanksgiving (the Canadian one, which is the first week of October) you start sporting Christmas clothes and there is a least a couple of decorations in your house.

As for me, I cringe when I see Christmas decorations in the middle of October or hear the mention of Christmas songs and albums on the radio. There're even some stores that have forgotten about Halloween and skipped right to Christmas decorations. I guess Halloween is not as profitable as it used to be.

Anyway, that's my opinion and I respect the ones who don't agree with me. As a matter of fact this post might appeal to them. Why? Because the pictures I took last weekend look a lot like Christmas. Hmmm...that rings a bell; oh ya, the Christmas song written in 1951 by the American composer Meredith Willson It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

So here you go, you Christmas enthusiasts that are counting the days before Santa Claus descends from the chimney.



Thé des bois
Parc du Domaine Vert, Boisbriand, QC, 5 novembre 2011
Thé des bois
Parc du Domaine Vert, Boisbriand, QC, 5 novembre 2011
Thé des bois is in fact Wintergreen. You know? The flavor of that round, pink candy that us québécois call "Paparmane".  The candy is known for its popularity among the elders and was made famous by M. Caron on the TV show Rock et Belles Oreilles that aired in the 80's and 90's.  If you want to taste it, the flavor comes from both the leaves and the berries.  You can also extract its oil and use it has an anti-inflammatory agent on your achy muscles and joints since it contains an active ingredient that is similar to the one found in aspirin. Wintergreen on Wikipedia  Ok, that was my scientific interlude for the day.  I wish you all an happy pre-Holiday season.  As for me, wait until the week before Christmas to mention it. 

7 comments:

  1. By the way, "Paparmane" is coming from the deformation of "peppermint" said in French. Well writen post about my favorite treat (ok, one of my favorite...) when I go for a walk in the woods. The leaves can be chewed to release that bitter-sweet peppermint taste.
    C.H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. En veux-tu des commentaires, en v'là;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you C.H. for your comment. You're right paparmane is a deformation of Peppermint, but if I recall it well, Les paparmanes taste like thé des bois which is Wintergreen. I might be wrong since it's been a long time since I had any.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EXCELLENTES PHOTOS POUR FAIRE TES CARTES DE Nôel!
    TU AS VRAIMENT L'OEIL POUR DÉTECTER DE PETITES MERVEILLES! DANS LE TEXTE L'information concernant l'auteur I's beginning etc.m'a permis de retrouver des chansons et chanteurs que ton père et moi aimions écouter autrefois. Bye

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oui c'est vrai, ca ferait de belles cartes de Noel. Merci pour la bonne idée Claudie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete