Friday, November 11, 2011

Route 66

This one is for those who are like me and don't want to think about Christmas just yet.  I'm taking you back to the 50's.  The post war era where cars had wings, gas was cheap and wifes stayed at home, cooking diner for their husband wearing pearls and high heels.  Remember those times?  No..... you're to young; me too.  Good thing, because even if I love pearls and high heels there is no way in Hell I'd be caught doing that........Oh well, maybe.....in my boyfriend's fantasies.

So why exactly am I telling you all this? Because it's my introduction to today's topic:  Route 66.  Everyone has heard about the famous road that crosses the US of A from Chicago down to LA. Now a day, a lot of it has been destroyed or abandoned but there are a couple of segments left.  Those were the ones that my boyfriend and I set out to see on our Spring 2010 Arizona trip.

Route 66 on our way to Seligman
We started the trip in Vegas than we went rafting on the Colorado River.  The next pictures were taking after going down the river for forty some miles and suffering a 4 hour drive to and from the Hotel in an old rickety school bus, on a dirt road with no air conditioning.  In Seligman, I had made reservations at the Supai Motel because of its neon sign.  We got there around 10PM.  You have to remember here, it's not Las Vegas where everything is open 24/7, so there was just one restaurant left open and it was about closing time.  If we wanted to eat, we had no choice; it was the Roadkill Cafe or nothing.  Let me tell you, that was quite an experience, the food was excellent but you have to read the menu.
RoadKill Cafe, Seligman, AZ


Supai Motel, Seligman,AZ
Next morning we started our drive to The Grand Canyon.  But before we left town, there was still more memorabilia from the glory days of Route 66 to photograph.

Old Ford Pick up truck
Red, White and Blue
I know it's not real, it's all for the tourists like us who want to see how it was back in those days.  The truth is........  Do you really want to know ?  I think I'll just let you all look at the pictures and dream yourself a world of girls in large skirts and boys with their t-shirt sleeved rolled up.

Last look at the town of Seligman, AZ
I hope you liked your trip down memory lane, we sure did.  Here is another link if you want to know more about Route 66. The road wanderer

For those of you who want to read the menu of the Roadkill Cafe, just click on the pictures it should open to its original size.

No comments:

Post a Comment