Thursday, May 17, 2012

Out of hibernation

Flowers are blooming and I'm coming out of hibernation. OK, I'm late, I know, but better late than never.

So let's talk about flowers, shall we? 

When does the first flower bloom in the Spring? Any ideas? March, April?

If you guessed March you're right. You can see Tussilago farfara, also called Coltsfoot, as early as the end of March if it gets warm enough. They are bright, little yellow flowers that grow pretty much everywhere.  I've seen them in people's yards, along paths, and in woody areas. An interesting fact about them is that the flowers bloom before the leaves come out. Be careful not to confuse them with dandelions, because they do look alike from afar, and especially when they wither. Here is an example.  

Tussilago farfara, Centre d'interprétation de la nature, Boisbriand, QC, March 30th, 2012

Here is the same flower, but one month later. See how it can easily be confused with a dandelion. 

Tussilago farfara, April 28, 2012

Here are some pictures of dandelions, taken a few minutes ago in my backyard (not that I'm proud of it). Can you see the difference?

Dandelion, May 17, 2012
Dandelion, May 17, 2012
Next time, I'll talk to you about what else you can fine in my backyard, and it's not all weeds, even if it looks like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment