Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Special Yellow Flowers

Remember in the last post I was hoping.  Well, I didn't hope for nothing. Today, I was pleasantly surprised.  I actually was able to talk to two nice ladies on the phone without having to go through 5 minutes of instructions before I actually heard a human voice.  A big thank you for those companies that still think that talking to real people is important.
In the last couple of days I have been flower hunting and found I lot of yellow flowers.  So today I’m offering you a yellow flower special.
Here is the first one of eight.
 
Lotier corniculé, Boisbriand, QC, June 21 2011
Here is the Lotier corniculé (Bird's-foot Trefoil) also known as pied-de-poule in French.  It is found in fields and along paths.  It is pretty common here in Québec.  It belongs to the same family as alfalfa and peas.  Interesting! 

Lysimaque nummulaire, Boisbriand, QC, June 21 2011

The second one on the list: Lysimaque nummulaire or, which is much better; Moneywort or herbe aux écus.  It is a ground covering plant that came from Europe.







My third one (this sounds like playing charades) is Millepertuis commun; The famous St-John's Worth known for its anti-depressive properties. 
Millepertuis commun, Boisbriand, QC, June 21 2011











Number 4 is from the Crassula family, the same as the popular Jade plant. It is named Goldmoss sedum or Orpin âcre in French.  They look like little stars. First time I ever saw some.

Orpin âcre, Laval, QC, June 19 2011

Five, six and seven are from the same genus but different species.  That is why they look so much alike. They are Potentilles or Cinquefoil.

Potentille dressée, Boisbriand

Potentielle ansérine, Boisbriand
Potentielle argentée, Boisbriand

Renoncule, Boisbriand, QC, June 21 2011
The last one but none the least: the Renoncule or Buttercup (Bouton d'or).  There is numerous species in this family and I am not sure which one this is.  I think it is Ranuculus repents (Creeping Buttercup). If anybody knows, please let me know.  They are very hard to differentiate even when looking at the leaves.



Well that's it for this series.  Back next time with some other finds.  Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment