Friday, August 5, 2011

Urban Garden

There is an article by Marie-Claude Lortie in La Presse today talking about a trend in San Francisco promoting sharing and establishing temporary businesses.  It made me remember something interesting and innovating I saw a couple weeks ago in Laval. 
 
We were walking in Centropolis, a sort of outdoor mall with boutiques and restaurants, before seeing a movie at the Colossus.  Being a flower fanatic, I was looking around at the plants surrounding the fountain in the center of the complex and, I saw what looked like green pepper plants.  I looked more carefully and it really was green peppers growing in the flower garden.  In fact it was more than just green peppers; there were also, cherry tomatoes, lettuce, chili and jalapeño peppers, broccolis, cabbages, eggplants, zucchinis and Swiss chard of different colors, all of them mixed in with flowers.    

I thought it was a brilliant idea.  First of all, it was beautiful with all its colors but, it was also edible and restaurants seem to be using the vegetables in their cuisine.  Fresh produce, low cost, ecological and pleasing to the eyes. Fantastic. 

The pictures were taken by my boyfriend with his iPhone. I did not have my camera with me.  Note to myself: Always bring your camera with you.

Swiss chard surrounded by flowers

Chili peppers

No comments:

Post a Comment